I am an award-winning writer/editor, based in the Los Angeles area. I have worked on a range of texts, in a range of formats, for young and adult audiences alike.
With many years of experience, I bring style, intelligence, humor and efficiency to my work as:
For me, all writing is creative, and all writing is technical. Whether I'm writing educational books or 120-character synopses, I always strive for originality, clarity and accuracy.
Over a 20-year period, I have taken on numerous assignments -- feature articles, artist interviews, biographical and historical pieces, critical analyses, publicity material, annual reports and study guides. I have written, edited, copy edited and proofread. My clients have included Netflix; BearManor Media; Salem Press; Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts; Enslow Press; Balcony Press; Center Theatre Group; Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; American Film Institute; and Fathom.com.
▪ For Netflix, I composed and edited content for Netflix’s website, including product teasers and short-form synopses. [See Small Bites]
▪ For Enslow, I developed and wrote a series of educational books. In collaboration with the editor, I helped devise the promotional strategy for the series and brought in contributors and advisers. [See Samples]
▪ For BearManor Media, I edited and proofread film-related book manuscripts. [See Samples]
▪ For Center Theatre Group, I authored a commemorative book on the institution’s architectural history. Working with CTG’s press department, I wrote program articles and study guides about current productions. [See Samples]
▪ For the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, I wrote online arts-appreciation pieces aimed at families and educators. [See Small Bites]
Credits Administrator, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Beverly Hills, California
Hired first as a part-time researcher and credits specialist, I started at the Motion Picture Academy in 2003. In 2013, I became a full-time administrator, overseeing the submission process for the Academy's major awards. In addition, I supervised a team of research specialists over a range of assignments. Using online and archival resources, I created and edited entries for Academy's credit database. I also edited and transcribed filmmaking seminar transcripts for public use.
Editor/Writer/Researcher for American Film Institute Catalog of Feature Films at the American Film Institute, Los Angeles, California
After a stint as a staff researcher and writer on the multi-volume reference series, I was promoted to assistant editor. As a writer, I composed full summaries and historical notes for hundreds of entries, covering several decades of American filmmaking. I trained new staff in research, writing, copy editing and database entry techniques, and in conjunction with the Executive Editor, I oversaw and contributed to the creation of various indexes.
Audio book reader for Librivox.org
Record texts for Librivox.org, a volunteer organization dedicated to the recording of public domain books. [See Small Bites]
League of Women Voters Los Angeles
Copy edited monthly newsletter
Pro Bono Content Manager, Los Angeles
B.A. in English Literature, Reed College, Portland, Oregon
M.A. in Cinema Studies, New York University, New York, New York
M.F.A. in Screenwriting, American Film Institute, Los Angeles, California